KwaZulu-Natal – Over the past two days, the IEC processed over 9,500 applications for special votes in uMgungundlovu, a number it says is higher than that of applications received in the 2016 Local Government elections.
IEC District Manager in uMgungundlovu District Khulekane Mdadane, says special voting went relatively smoothly on the special voting days; with only one reported incident of disruption at the SACA Sports field in ward 37 of the first day of special voting. At this venue, IEC staff were reportedly intimidated by a group of residents who threatened to burn down the IEC tent erected in that area.
The residents were demanding money after claiming they had earlier been hired to cut grass in preparation for the election but were then not paid for their services.
The IEC was forced to dismantle the tent when special voting concluded on Monday.
However, it later transpired that this was untrue and the real intention of the group was to disrupt the special voting process.
The tent will be re-erected early this morning before voting commences at 07h00.
Yesterday, on day two of special voting in Dalton, uMshwathi, residents of Efaye blockaded access to two voting stations (Efaye and Emakeni) in ward 3. IEC staff eventually managed to get through to the two voting stations with SAPS assistance.
Some voters approved for special voting were unable to cast their votes yesterday and they will have to visit voting stations with the rest of South Africans today between 07h00 and 21h00 today. – uMgungundlovu FM, KwaZulu-Natal (Edited by Philile Masango)