The ANC and its youth wing in Alexandra are singing different hymn sheets in the case of ANC councilor Kenneth Mgaga (36) , who is accused of rape.
While the mother body distanced itself from Mgaga over the weekend, the ANC Youth League (ANCYL) has thrown its weight behind him.
It believes the rape case is just a political smear campaign to tarnish Mgaga’s image.
Mgaga is accused of raping a 28-year-old woman.
He appeared before the Wynberg Magistrate’s Court on Monday and was released on R2 000 bail.
The ANC adviser in the City of Joburg is denying the charges against him.
He has been suspended from the city council and has also asked the ANC to also temporarily remove him from his position.
Mgaga’s rape case has been postponed to 22 February for further investigations.
The ANC in Alexandra, Gauteng, has confirmed that one of its councilors has been arrested for rape.
Alex Reporter understands that he is a PR councilor in the City of Johannesburg Metropolitan Municipality.
ANC secretary in Alexandra, Banele Sangcozi, says they want the accused councilor to step down.
“If he fails to step down, we call on the upper structures to immediately suspend him and institute disciplinary proceedings against him.”
Meanwhile, the ANC Joburg spokesperson Sasa Manganye says they stand with the victim.
“The ANC stands with the victim and calls authorities ensure that alleged misogynist faces the full might of the law as we believe in the fairness and unbiasedness of the justice system of our country.”
DA Joburg spokesperson on Gender & the LGBTQIA+, Botshelo Moloisane, says they want the councilor suspended.
“We are saddened and shocked to learn about the arrest, this comes at a time where the country is battling GBV and femicide. It is appalling that the accused has acted in such a manner. We will ask the Joburg council to write to MEC Lebogang Maile to suspend the councillor without pay till the case is concluded. Not only has he broken his oath of office to but his code of conduct as an elected councillor.”
Police spokesperson Sergeant Simphiwe Mbatha says he is not aware of the matter.
The accused is, nonetheless, expected to appear before the Alexandra Magistrate Court on Monday.
One of the police officers accused of killing Alexandra resident, Samantha Radebe, has died.
It is understood that constable Wisani Chabani was found dead in his car in the township police station’s parking lot last week.
Police Spokesperson Sergeant Simphiwe Mbatha has confirmed that the deceased did not have injuries or wounds.
“We wait for the post mortem from pathologists to discover what led to the death of the officer.”
Sergeant Frans Kganyago and Chabani were arrested following an IPID investigation into Radebe’s murder who was killed by a firearm from one of the officers in January 2020.
Radebe was coming from work when she was caught in the crossfire during an alleged shootout between police and hijacking suspects in the township.
The newly-wed young mother died on the scene, while a passer-by was wounded.
Please note –this story contains graphic details, which might upset some readers and children.
Residents of Alexandra in Gauteng say they are disappointed after a man accused of raping and molesting children was granted bail.
The suspect, known as ‘Malume’ to his alleged victims, appeared before the Alexandra Magistrate Court on Thursday morning on charges of rape and was released on R2 000 bail.
It is understood that the 43-year-old preyed on children aged between 2 and 12 years calling them to his 14th Avenue house, where he would allegedly put his finger inside their genitals for his sexual pleasure and then rape some of them.
When approached by angry community members, ‘Malume’ allegedly said the children asked for it as he was giving them money to buy sweets.
Dozens of community members picketed outside the courthouse, demanding the accused to be denied bail.
“This man is a child molester and it is very disappointing to see women coming in support of the accused, there is no justice in South Africa. No justice at all!”
Ward 116 councilor Adolph Marema shares the community’s sentiment.
“I am not happy with the court proceedings today and I have contacted ADAPT to help us push the investigating officer to do a thorough investigation so that a successful prosecution can be secured. I also urge the residents to be calm and wait for justice to take its course”
The case has been postponed to 19 January 2021 for further investigations.
Two people have been killed in a fire that destroyed dozens of shacks in Alexandra on Saturday night.
One-year-old girl and a 30-year-old man were burnt beyond recognition in the devastating fire.
Johannesburg Emergency Management Services Spokesperson, Robert Mulaudzi, says an investigation is underway to determine the cause of the fire.
“The multiple shack fire incident happened at 8th Avenue London road around 22h00 (Saturday), two people lost their lives. We encourage our residents to be careful when using heating appliances that may cause fire at home.”
At least 20 homes were destroyed in the incident.
Fires are prone in the township.
In August, three people lost their lives in a fire that torched about 200 shacks.
The cause of that inferno remains unknown but emergency services suspected heating devices, which were left unattended.
The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) believes it has a strong case against a 25-year-old Alexandra taxi driver accused of killing a local teenager.
Prince Ndlovu’s case was postponed to the 11th of November for further investigations yesterday.
The State believes Ndlovu killed 18-year-old Jabulile Nkosi, who was found with bullet wounds in her body in September near the Jukskei River Park, in the West bank.
Different community organisations picketed outside the Alexandra Magistrate Court, demanding that he be remanded in custody.
NPA Gauteng spokesperson Phindi Mjonondwane has said Ndlovu has not applied for bail. He has, however, requested legal aid assistance.
Mjonondwane says investigations are continuing to establish if he has committed other crimes.
EFF PR councillor in Alexandra Moshe Mphahlele (35) has been released on warning from police custody.
He was arrested on Monday following a scuffle at the Alexandra Police Station.
Mphahlele appeared before the Alexandra Magistrate Court on Tuesday afternoon on charges of intimidation, assault, public violence and interfering with police work.
During an interview with the Alex Reporter after his release, the EFF councillor said he didn’t know or understand why he was arrested.
“We had brought the suspected rapist to the police station to be arrested, however the officers did not arrest him instead he was told to sit down in the charge office, we then asked why he was not arrested. Then an argument broke out between officers and the angry residents.”
Mphahlele says he was pepper-sprayed by the police during the scuffle.
“One officer threatened to strike the residents with a chair and then one of the residents poured water onto the officers and we got pepper sprayed. I could not see.”
His version of events are however different from those articulated by Alexandra police spokesperson, Sergeant Simphiwe Mbatha, while confirming Mphahlele’s arrest on Monday.
Mbatha told the Alex Reporter that: “Suspect together with a group of residents stormed our police station on Sunday demanding the release of a suspect accused of rape. I can confirm that a 35-year-old man is in police custody for assaulting our officers and staff members.”
Mphahlele has meanwhile dismissed claims that his arrest was politically motivated.
He is due back in court on 18 November.
An EFF councilor has been arrested for allegedly assaulting four police officers in Alexandra, Johannesburg.
Moshe Mphahlele together with a group of residents allegedly stormed the Alexandra Police Station on Sunday afternoon, demanding the release of a suspected rapist.
Alexandra police spokesperson Sergeant Simphiwe Mbatha says Mphahlele was arrested on Monday morning.
“I can confirm that a 35-year-old man is in police custody for assaulting our officers and staff members, he will appear in court soon.”
Mphahlele is a proportional representative (PR) councilor for the Economic Freedom Fighters in the Johannesburg Metropolitan Municipality Council, responsible for Ward 107.
On Monday afternoon, dozens of his supporters picketed outside the Alexandra police station, demanding his immediate release from custody.
EFF Johannesburg chairperson Musa Novela has told VOW FM that he is on his way to Alexandra to attend the matter.
Meanwhile the rape accused at the centre of the storm is under police guard at the Tembisa Hospital.
He is recuperating from injuries suffered when angry residents beat him up for allegedly sexually assaulting two women.
He apparently posed as a traditional healer and sexually abused the women when they went to him for consultation.
A 17-year-old girl from 4th Avenue, Alexandra in Johannesburg, has died after she allegedly committed suicide by eating rat poison.
Khumo Maloka was a grade 11 learner at East Bank High School.
It is understood that on Sunday the teenager ost a smartphone that belonged to someone on Sunday.
She took her own life the next morning at home, in life in fear of consequences.
Family spokesperson Ben Thabo Maloka says they are shocked and saddened by her death.
“I wish my niece told us what was bothering her, we could have helped her to solve the issue,” Malosa says.
The family says before her death, Khumo told her brother what she planned doing – saying: “My dear brother I love you so much, but I have taken the rat poison to kill myself.”
Her brother took it lightly.
Hours later she was found vomiting and was rushed to the Edenvale Hospital, where she was certified dead hours later.
Alexandra police could not be reached for comment at the time of publishing.
According to the South African Depression and Anxiety Group (Sadag), 9% of all teen deaths in South Africa are due to suicide.
The group says in the 15-24 age group, suicide is the second leading – and fastest growing – cause of death. – Report by Malesela Mangena
Three suspected criminals have been shot and killed following a high-speed shootout in Sandton, Johannesburg.
Police and a private security company responded to a housebreaking in the area this morning.
The suspects were cornered at the intersection of Magonia street and Lilium street, Marlboro.
Sandringham police spokesperson Warrant Officer Lebusa says a shoot out ensued between police and suspects.
One of them was arrested.
Stolen property has been recovered as well as two firearms and vehicle that had been reported stolen.