Skekwetje Mahlamba has been remanded in custody while his co-accused in the Horne murder is out on bail.
The duo appeared before the Senekal Magistrate’s Court on Thursday.
Sekola Matlaletsa has been granted R5 000 bail.
After reading an alibi witness’ submission before court, Magistrate Deon van Rooyen said: “Other than what is currently on the police docket at this juncture, there is no evidence that links applicant number two to the commission of the crimes he is charged with. The results of the DNA swaps that were taken from the inside and the outside of the bakkie of the deceased, are inconclusive in as far as it relates to him.”
Magistrate van Rooyen believes it is in the interest of justice to release Matlaletsa.
He says he is not a flight risk nor will he interfere with witnesses.
Matlaletsa will have to report to a local police station on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
Magistrate van Rooyen believes Mahlamba has “some explanation to do on why he left home in the middle of the night and returned the next morning.”
The fact that his girlfriend is a key witness in the matter and that he lied about his presence in the shack where a bloodied pair of pants were found by investigators are other factors for Mahlamba’s bail denial.
The Magistrate has urged the state to expedite the matter. He also appealed to the Police Minister Bheki Cele to use his influence of his office to ensure that the case is finalised timeously and the accused’s right to a speedy trial is realised.
The case will return to court on the 1st of December.
Matlaletsa and Mahlamba are accused of killing Brendin Horne on October 1.
His body was found the next day at a farm by his father and a colleague.
Horne’s death sparked racial tensions in the small Free State town.
The first appearance of the accused was marked with violence.
Attacks weary farmers and community members stormed the court building and torching a police van, among other things.
Two men are being prosecuted for that incident.
The two men accused of killing 21-year-old Senekal farm manager, Brending Horne, return to the Senekal Magistrate’s Court today.
Their bail application was postponed on Friday.
Today, the defense is expected to cross-examine the investigating officer.
Sekwetje Mahlamba (32) and Sekola Matlaletsa (44) have denied guilt in the matter.
Both their appearances have so far been marked by drama.
On Friday, tensions flared between Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) and farmers protesting against farm murders.
No violence was reported, though.
This had been preceded by the burning of a police van outside the court on October 6, when Mahlamba and Matlaletsa first appeared at the court.
The farmers had allegedly wanted to take the law into their own hands and personally deal with the duo.
Two men have been arrested so far for that riot and are both out on bail.
The two men charged for the violence that broke out at the Senekal Magistrate’s Court two weeks ago will return to court next month.
They were both granted R15 000 bail on Monday.
Stephen Fourie appeared at the magistrate’s court after being arrested on Friday.
He has been charged with public violence, arson, malicious damage to property and attempted murder.
His co-accused was also released on R15 000 bail after petitioning the High Court in Bloemfontein.
Andre Pienaar escalated his quest for freedom to the court after Magistrate Buti Mlangeni rejected his bid, citing concerns of him possibly interfering with witnesses.
The two will appear before the Senekal Magistrate’s Court together when the case resumes on the 20th of November.
The state says they were part of a group of locals who gathered at the court when the alleged killers of 21-year-old farm manager, Brendin Horner, first appeared.
The locals torched a police vehicle, allegedly fired shots inside court and damaged a section of the courthouse when chaos broke out.
The state intends using a doctrine of common purpose in prosecuting the two.