Bheki Mlangeni Hospital CEO placed on ‘precautionary transfer’

Bheki Mlangeni Hospital CEO placed on ‘precautionary transfer’

Controversial Bheki Mlangeni District Hospital CEO, Ruth Mabyana, has been transferred.

She has been moved to the district office in what the Gauteng Health Department says is a precautionary measure.

“The CEO is allegedly implicated in a case of misconduct. The issues surrounding the case must still be verified and a determination will be made accordingly.”

Makabedi Makhetha will be acting in Mabyana’s position.

“There is a need to urgently resolve the broader challenges at Bheki Mlangeni Hospital and restore the confidence of the community in the facility’s capacity to continue providing much needed healthcare services,” says  acting Gauteng Heath MEC, Jacob Mamabolo.

Patient safety concerns were also raised at the health facility this week following rape allegations.

A patient is alleged to have sexually violated another healthcare user at the hospital last Friday.

The MEC says a probe into that matter continues.

“The department will appoint an independent investigator to help finalise the matter following an internal preliminary report. The matter has also been referred to the South African Police Services (SAPS) to investigate.”

The DA’s Jack Bloom has welcomed Mabyana’s transfer, saying she shouldn’t return to the hospital.

Earlier this month, Soweto residents and members of the Independent Liberation and Allied Workers’ Union also took to the streets, calling for the removal of the health facility’s management. Corruption was among the accusations the residents levelled against the hospital’s leadership.

Probe launched into Bheki Mlangeni rape claims

Probe launched into Bheki Mlangeni rape claims

Investigations are underway over the rape incident that reportedly took place at the  Bheki Mlangeni Hospital, in Soweto, over the weekend.

Gauteng Health says it has asked the police to investigate the claims.

The matter was brought into the spotlight by DA Gauteng Shadow Health MEC, Jack Bloom, on Monday – saying workers at the health facility were worried that the incident could be swept under the carpet.

A male patient is said to have sexually assaulted a 16-year-old fellow healthcare user at the facility – raising concerns over safety.

“I want to reassure members of the public that the issue of safety at our public health facilities is a priority. We continue to work with law enforcement agencies to strengthen preventative and response measures,” says acting Health MEC Jacob Mamabolo, in a statement.

The Department says the rape survivor is receiving medical and psychological support. His family has also been counselled.

Bloom has said the rape is the 11th violent incident at the hospital.

Another patient was killed in May by a fellow patient.