Bheki Mlangeni Hospital CEO placed on ‘precautionary transfer’

Bheki Mlangeni Hospital CEO placed on ‘precautionary transfer’

Controversial Bheki Mlangeni District Hospital CEO, Ruth Mabyana, has been transferred.

She has been moved to the district office in what the Gauteng Health Department says is a precautionary measure.

“The CEO is allegedly implicated in a case of misconduct. The issues surrounding the case must still be verified and a determination will be made accordingly.”

Makabedi Makhetha will be acting in Mabyana’s position.

“There is a need to urgently resolve the broader challenges at Bheki Mlangeni Hospital and restore the confidence of the community in the facility‚Äôs capacity to continue providing much needed healthcare services,” says  acting Gauteng Heath MEC, Jacob Mamabolo.

Patient safety concerns were also raised at the health facility this week following rape allegations.

A patient is alleged to have sexually violated another healthcare user at the hospital last Friday.

The MEC says a probe into that matter continues.

“The department will appoint an independent investigator to help finalise the matter following an internal preliminary report. The matter has also been referred to the South African Police Services (SAPS) to investigate.”

The DA’s Jack Bloom has welcomed Mabyana’s transfer, saying she shouldn’t return to the hospital.

Earlier this month, Soweto residents and members of the Independent Liberation and Allied Workers’ Union also took to the streets, calling for the removal of the health facility’s management. Corruption was among the accusations the residents levelled against the hospital’s leadership.