The two men charged for the violence that broke out at the Senekal Magistrate’s Court two weeks ago will return to court next month.
They were both granted R15 000 bail on Monday.
Stephen Fourie appeared at the magistrate’s court after being arrested on Friday.
He has been charged with public violence, arson, malicious damage to property and attempted murder.
His co-accused was also released on R15 000 bail after petitioning the High Court in Bloemfontein.
Andre Pienaar escalated his quest for freedom to the court after Magistrate Buti Mlangeni rejected his bid, citing concerns of him possibly interfering with witnesses.
The two will appear before the Senekal Magistrate’s Court together when the case resumes on the 20th of November.
The state says they were part of a group of locals who gathered at the court when the alleged killers of 21-year-old farm manager, Brendin Horner, first appeared.
The locals torched a police vehicle, allegedly fired shots inside court and damaged a section of the courthouse when chaos broke out.
The state intends using a doctrine of common purpose in prosecuting the two.
A 33-year-old man has been arrested in connection with last week’s chaos at the Senekal Magistrate’s Court.
He is a second suspect in the violence that erupted at the court when the two men accused of killing 21-year-old farm manager, Brendin Horner, first appeared in court.
Police Ministry spokesperson, Lirandzu Themba, announced the news last night in a tweet.
The arrest happened on the same day Sekwetje Mahlamba (32) and Sekola Matlaletsa (44) made their second appearance in court to apply for bail.
The matter has been postponed to Tuesday, where the investigating officer is expected to be cross-examined.
State Security Minister Ayanda Dlodlo, the Police Minister Bheki Cele and EFF leader Julius Malema attended the court proceedings, which were marked by tensions between rival protesting groups.
DA Federal Council Chairperson Helen Zille was also in Senekal in support of farmers, who are frustrated by farm murders.
Tensions are running high in Senekal where two men are appearing for the murder of farm manager, Brendin Horne.
Horne was found murdered two weeks ago at a farm, which he managed.
Economic Freedom Fighters, community members, AfriForum and farmers are gathered around the local magistrate’s court.
A former South African Defence Force member has warned against those trying to instigate war, telling Newzroom Afrika that those who want war will have it.
The South African Human Rights Commission has meanwhile called for calm.
“The Commission demands that the constitutional right to protest be exercised within the ambit of the Constitution and the law. Thus all particpants in protest action must exercise this right unarmed and peacefully,” it says in a statement.
Police are monitoring the situation.
The man accused of public violence in Senekal, in the Free State, has been denied bail.
Magistrate Buti Mlangeni cited the possibility of him interfering with police investigations as one of the reasons for his decision.
Andre Pienaar appeared in the Senekal Magistrate’s Court today.
He was arrested last week after allegedly encouraging protesters to storm the courthouse and attack two accused who had been appearing there.
Amid the chaos, a police van was overturned and set alight by the angry crowd.
The suspect faces charges of attempted murder, malicious damage to property and public violence.
He has told court that he suffers from bipolar and takes chronic medication.
Pienaar’s case will return to court on November 20.
A state witness has accused him of having threatened and throttled a female police officer who tried preventing the protesters from entering court.
The group had been demanding justice for murdered 21-year-old local farm manager, Brendin Horner. Police Minister Bheki Cele and his State Security counterpart Minister Ayanda Dlodlo will visit his family this afternoon.
The duo also plans on meeting with organised farming structures in the area in a bid to quell simmering tensions caused by Horner’s murder.
Eight people have so far been killed in a fight between villagers of Mpheleni in the Eastern Cape and taxi operators.
The violence is over the route to Kokstad.
Nomfezeko Nompula has filed the following report that has been voiced by Local Voices’ Karabo Tebele.